Councillor Christopher Wellbelove visited the pupils at Iqra on Friday 30th November to officially inaugurate the school council representatives following their successful election earlier in the term. Iqra is proud of its electoral processes and all of the school community takes part, making sure that democracy is alive and well in Lambeth! 

During the special assembly, and after being greeted by Headteacher Humaira Saleem, the Mayor spoke briefly to all of the children before generously answering a Q&A about his role. Our pupils were particularly fascinated by the Mayoral Chains

Our School Councillors are now official and so begins their work, trying to make good all of those pledges made. Their acceptance speeches are reproduced below:

Haneefah
As salamu alaikum
I am Haneefah and I am so so happy that I get to represent all my friends, students and staff at Iqra school. Thank you for voting for me!

Haroon
I am Haroon. I am thankful that people voted for me to represent our school. I’m ready to take on this responsibility of  being a school councillor. I’ll make sure we all hear your ideas on making Iqra even better. I am sure we all will work together and have a great time.
Saad A.
Good morning Iqra School. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for voting for me to be a school councillor. I would like to reassure you that I will bring more games and books to the school. If you would like to see me, come find me at break times so we can discuss school matters. Once again, thank you for voting for me.
Yusra M.
Assalamualaikum Iqra School. Today I would like to take this opportunity to thank you both students and teachers for voting for me. I will make every effort to keep the promises I made like getting more playground equipment. If you have any other enquiries, please come to me and I will discuss them with the headteacher. Thank You.
Aisha S    
As salaamu alaykum. My name is Aisha & I’m in Year 4. Thank you for electing me to be school councillor. I will try my hardest to get more resources for the school. I will also try my hardest to keep my promises. I won’t let you down in sha Allah. Thank you!
Ahmed M
As salamu alaikum 
I am Ahmed from Year 4. Thank you for voting for me and making me a school councillor. I will try my best to bring healthy school meals and more playground equipment. I will not let my school down!
Jazaak Allahu Khairan
Fatima
Hello everyone!
I’m Fatima and I’m so happy that I have been elected school councillor. I will work hard to get your opinions heard. Finally, I hope some of you guys will win next time like me and be a great role model. Thank you for your vote.
Abdishakur
As salamu alaikum
I am Abdushakur. I would like to thank everyone who voted for me. I will do my very best to be the voice of the school. Thank You!
Aqeelah
As salaamu alaykum,
My name is Aqeelah. I want to thank everyone who voted for me to be school councillor. I will try my best to make learning fun and interesting. I also promise to be a good listener and deliver all your ideas and try to make them happen.
InshaAllah I will not let you down!
Eesa
As salamu alaikum,
My name is Eesa and I am in year 2. Thank you friends and teachers that voted for me and helped me to become a school councillor. As a school councillor I will try my best to listen to all your great ideas so we can make this school even better.
Thank you again for voting for me!