Reading regularly improves understanding, increases vocabulary, helps mental health and is shown to improve results at GCSEs which has an impact on A-Levels and career choice.
This is why at Iqra we require children to read at least 10 minutes everyday. Children take a book from the class everyday and keep a recording record. The reading record should be filled in everyday Mon-Fri.
Please help your child develop themselves as a reader.
You can do this by:
- Setting a regular routine for reading (just before bedtime or as soon as your child comes home from school)
- Set a comfortable place for reading.
- Remove distractions – if children are in the same place as people watching TV, scrolling through phones and tablets, it is harder for them to read.
- Create a quiet space for reading.
- Check their reading record to make sure that it is completed.
Readers are leaders!