بِسْــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ اارَّحِيم
Assalaamu ‘alaikum and WELCOME to Summer 1!
I hope that you have all had a restful holiday and are ready to do lots of new learning.
WHAT WE ARE LEARNING THIS YEAR/TERM
- English – This half-term we will be reading ‘Ramadan’ by Hannah Elliot and ‘Lila and the Secret of Rain’ by David Conway and Jude Daly. We will creating poems, letters, story maps and stories.
- Maths – We will be looking at telling the time; to the hour and half hour.
- DT – This half-term we will be doing Food technology and we will be making fruit skewers.
- Science- We will continue exploring and comparing different materials. We will be identifying different materials and look at their properties.
- Geography – We will be learning about fieldwork, maps and aerial/ bird’s eye views. We will look at different human and physical features and work to create our own aerial maps of our school.
- Computing – We will be creating and debugging algorithms using 2Code.
- Quran – The children will be learning Surah Fiil, please ensure that they practise at home.
- Music- We will have music every Friday with a specialist teacher.
- PE – The children will have PE every Wednesday and Friday. Please ensure that they wear their PE uniforms on these days and provide them with a water bottle.
- Reading: The children will have guided reading sessions everyday. They will all have the opportunity to participate in 1:1 reading sessions once a week. The children will also be provided with a reading book each week, please read with them daily and leave a comment in their reading journals.
It is important to keep a routine for the children to ensure they can learn and participate to the best of their ability in the lessons.
Please maintain a regular bedtime.
Please ensure they complete the homework given every Thursday. This must be brought back on Tuesday.
All the children are required to bring a school bag to school everyday.
The children will have a spelling test every Wednesday. Please ensure that you practise with them weekly. They will be provided with a booklet with all the spellings for the term in the first week.
In year 1 we were very excited about our big move to the King’s Avenue building. We settled into our classroom very quickly, with all the familiar faces and classroom set-up. We have been enjoying our new classroom and playground. We had our Eid party during...
In Year 1, we were very excited to celebrate World book day and share our love for books with each other. We started the morning with a special whole-school assembly, where we got the chance to look at all the costumes worn in the school. We also had a quiz on books,...
In Year 1 we have been making monsters using natural materials we collected during Forest School. We began by discussing different monsters and villains in traditional tales. We looked at giants, wolves, trolls and witches. We worked in small groups to collect natural...
What can you do to Help?
- Encourage the children to become more independent.
- Please label all items of clothing and book bags.
- Make sure that you check that the children have taken their homework and that they return it.
- Involve your child in real world maths by talking about how much something costs or how many you have. The children will benefit from it in class.
- Please provide your child with a water bottle.
- Please ensure the children start the day with a healthy breakfast.
Homework will consist of literacy, numeracy and spelling. It will be sent out on Friday and collected on Tuesday. Your child will also be sent home a reading book each week. Do encourage the children to read the book more than once. As they are beginning readers they may need to read the same book more than once to understand what the text is about. Do ask them about what they are reading, as it will help them in their reading comprehension.
- English – The Jolly Postman
- Maths – Subtraction and positions
- Science – Changing Seasons
- Computing – E Safety
- Geography – UK map and locating cities on the map.
- PSHE – Bullying
- PE – Basic Movement skills
If there is anything else you would like to see on our class page feel free to let us know.
Enjoy! – The Year One Team