Assalamu’alaikum and welcome to all Year 1 children and parents for this academic year!
WELCOME BACK YEAR 1 !
Lets get ready to work hard and produce amazing work!
WHAT WE ARE LEARNING THIS YEAR/TERM
- English – We are focusing on the book ‘The Gruffalo’. Children will be learning to develop pleasure in reading and will participate in different activities to do this. They will also learn how to write sentences using capital letters, fingers spaces and full stops.
- Maths – Our focus in maths this term is numbers. We will be looking at numbers to 10, number bonds and addition within 10.
- DT – In Year 1 we will be exploring freestanding structures and will work towards making our own structures.
- Science- We will be exploring animal parts. We will be looking at different body parts, our senses and making links between humans and other animals.
- History – We will be looking at homes in the past. We will explore what homes were like during different eras and making links to our own homes.
- Computing – We will learn about the importance of online safety and logging in safely to the chromebook using simple online learning games. Children are required to complete the tasks set on Purple Mash.
- Quran – The children will be learning Surah Al-Kafiroon, please ensure that they practise at home.
- Music- We will have music every Friday with a specialist teacher.
- PE – The children will have PE every Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure that they wear their PE uniforms on these days and provide them with a water bottle.
- Reading: The children will have guided reading sessions everyday. They will all have the opportunity to participate in 1:1 reading sessions once a week. The children will also be provided with a reading book each week, please read with them often and leave a comment in their reading journals.
It is important to keep a routine for the children to ensure they can learn and participate to the best of their ability in the lessons.
Please maintain a regular bedtime.
Please ensure they complete the homework given every Friday. This must be brought back on Tuesday.
We have had great start to Year 1, with the children settling in well, working hard and showing enthusiasm towards their learning. With the beginning of a new academic year, we have been getting to know each other, with the...
In Year 1 we have done many activities to engage with Ramadan! One of the things that we loved about Ramadan was the decorations in the classroom! We were amazed and in awe with the balloons and bunting that was put up in our classroom. An activity that we did in...
Dear Parent/ Guardian RE: Supporting your child with reading Every level of academic success is connected to reading. The quality of a child’s reading is often a sure sign to their ability to be able to succeed at school and beyond. In KS1 we use a...
What can you do to Help?
- Encourage the children to become more independent.
- Please label all items of clothing and book bags.
- Make sure that you check that the children have taken their homework and that they return it.
- Involve your child in real world maths by talking about how much something costs or how many you have. The children will benefit from it in class.
- Please provide your child with a water bottle.
- Please ensure the children start the day with a healthy breakfast.
Homework will consist of literacy, numeracy and spelling. It will be sent out on Friday and collected on Tuesday. Your child will also be sent home a reading book each week. Do encourage the children to read the book more than once. As they are beginning readers they may need to read the same book more than once to understand what the text is about. Do ask them about what they are reading, as it will help them in their reading comprehension.
- English – The Jolly Postman
- Maths – Subtraction and positions
- Science – Changing Seasons
- Computing – E Safety
- Geography – UK map and locating cities on the map.
- PSHE – Bullying
- PE – Basic Movement skills
If there is anything else you would like to see on our class page feel free to let us know.
Enjoy! – The Year One Team