Assalamu’alaikum and welcome to all Year 1 children and parents for this academic year!
As salamu alaikum Parents and children!
Summer 2 learning
Allhumdulilah today Year 1 class has came back to school since the lock down.
Summer 2 Topics
- English – From the book ‘The story Tree’ we are focusing on the story called ‘The Sweetest Song’
- Maths – There are some topics we are going to revisit such as Space, Volume and capacity, Mass Money.
- Science – Plants:
This unit will introduce children to the idea of plants as living things which grow and change over time. Children will work towards answering the Quest question, ‘How can we make a plant identification kit?’ The unit will encourage children to recognise the common features, similarities and differences between plants. Children will learn about the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees. They will identify, name and describe the main parts of plants, including trees. They will learn that trees are plants and will learn the meaning of ‘evergreen’ and ‘deciduous’ when describing and comparing trees. Children will describe and compare common plants and trees in their local environment and will learn specific vocabulary relating to trees, e.g. trunk, bark etc. They will have the opportunity to plant, grow and observe their own plants throughout the unit.
Children will consider how to treat plants as living things with care. At the end of the unit, children will create a model plant, a record of local plants and an identification kit for plants in their local area.
Working Scientifically, children will focus on observing closely using simple equipment, naming and grouping and recognising similarities and differences between plants. Children will make and record their observations and will also have the opportunity to gather and record data in a simple way to help in answering questions.
This unit builds on any work children have done in the Foundation Stage. This is the introductory unit on plants and lays the foundations for future work in this area.
Art – African Art
Computing – Programming simple games
PSHE – Children will be learning how to stay safe during the time of Coronavirus is around. They will be learning how to deal with different emotions and communicate if they have any worries.
PE – Outdoor games
- Timetable: Every Monday & Tuesday year 1 will be coming in school.
Thursday & Friday online learning.
Guided reading sessions: Online Wednesday & Thursdays.
More information will be posted on the google class Page.
Thank you for all your hard work and continues support.
Year 1 Staff
Assalamualikum, my name is Ustadah Khan. I am looking forward to working with Year One this year inshaAllah.
Ustadha Hassan worked as a teaching assistant in year two last year and is now currently in year one. She helps out everyday with all aspects of the children’s learning and welfare.
Please let us know if you have any concerns or questions.
Latest news on School Opening for Years 6, 1 and Reception Click here for more information https://iqra.lambeth.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/School-opening-for-Years-61-and-Rec.pdf
Dear parents, I hope you are well and enjoying your time at home! We really don’t want to burden you with extra amounts of work and stress logging and submitted work online, after today’s session myself and Ustadah Bourke understand some of you had some trouble...
This half term year one were super excited (as always) to visit Clapham woods, they were super sensible went travelling via public transport and were complimented numerous time on their excellent behaviour. Members of the public could not believe that they were five...
What can you do to Help?
- Encourage the children to become more independent.
- Please label all items of clothing and book bags.
- Make sure that you check that the children have taken their homework and that they return it.
- Involve your child in real world maths by talking about how much something costs or how many you have. The children will benefit from it in class.
- Please provide your child with a water bottle.
- Please ensure the children start the day with a healthy breakfast.
- English – Narrative, Non-fiction and poetry
- Maths – Counting, addition and subtraction, positions and shapes and patterns
- Science – Identifying Materials
- Computing – E Safety
- Geography – Hot and cold places
- PSHE – New Beginnings
- PE – Basic Movement skills
If there is anything else you would like to see on our class page feel free to let us know.
Enjoy! – The Year One Team