Assalamu’alaikum and welcome to Reception
بِسْــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ اارَّحِيم
Assalaamu ‘alaikum and welcome to Spring 1!
I hope you have had a restful break and are ready to do lots of new learning and have fun experiences.
Reception Newsletter Spring 1 2023
Assalaamu ‘alaikum all, the reception team have been busy setting up the classroom and preparing for the new term.
This term the topic will be ‘Space’. Through this topic we will be covering the seven areas of learning in the EYFS curriculum: Communication and Language, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design.
We will be exploring the topic through the core book ‘Whatever Next’ by Jill Murphy. We will be exploring the topic of space through the text. We will be writing descriptions, labels, captions and retelling the story.
The children will engage in a variety of different activities to develop their understanding of space and the types of transport we use to get from earth to the moon.
How you can help:
- Bring in any books related to the topic that we can share in class
- Go to the library and choose books to read with your child around the topic
- Talk to your child about space and astronauts
- Spend some time creating your rockets
- Discuss different times of the day and the things we can see in the sky
- Talk to your child about what we can do when we feel certain emotions
- Encourage turn-taking and sharing
- Encourage your child to eat with a spoon or fork
- Encourage your child to tidy up after themselves
- Encourage your child to dress independently and clean themselves appropriately after using the toilet
- Please ensure that your child is punctual and arrives at school promptly. Gates open at 8:15 and school starts at 8:30 sharp.
- Dismissal this half-term will be at 12pm or 3:20pm depending on the group your child is in, please ensure that you are on time to pick up your child.
- Uniforms will be checked on a daily basis, please ensure that your child is wearing the correct uniform
- Please do not send your child to school in shoes with laces as this can be hazardous
- Children must bring their bag to school every day with their reading records and reading books.
Children will recite Surah An-Naas every day and will learn Islamic etiquettes i.e. giving salaam, saying JazakAllahu khair and reading duas for eating/toilet etc.
Please bring back books that have been borrowed regularly, so your child can take a new book home. Reading records must be signed for children to receive a new book on Mondays. Homework will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by Tuesday.
We are always in need of small boxes, tubes, yoghurt pots, small plastic bottles, ribbons and materials for our junk modelling. Please bring in anything you can find at home.
Your child will be spending time outdoors each day regardless of the weather. Please ensure that you provide them with a waterproof jacket with a hood.
Some children do have accidents during the day and we sometimes need to change their clothes. Please ensure that you bring in a complete change of clothes in a bag with your child’s name on it.
We look forward to working with you and your child this year. Please feel free to talk to any of us if you have any problems or queries.
-The Reception Staff
Latest Reception News
This half-term in Reception we have been exploring the topic of space. We have been learning about what life is like in space and how astronauts move around. ‘They jump slow because in space you float and you can’t walk normally’ – H.O. After observing how they move,...
In Reception we have been busy learning lots of new things. We have been exploring our topics for the half-term, 'transport' and 'people who help us' through stories, role-play and art. We have enjoyed dressing up and role playing in our classroom. We have been...
We have been settling well into Reception and are becoming more and more familiar with the routines. We are all keen to impress our Ustadahs and be awarded star of the day! We have been exploring all the different parts of the classroom and outdoor spaces. We love to...
How You Can Help
- Bring in any stories or books related to our topic that we can share in class.
- Go to the library with your child and read stories related to the topic.
- spend some time talking with your children about their school day.
- Encourage child to eat with spoon or fork and clean their own plate after eating dinner.
- Encourage your child to dress up independently/clean themselves appropriately when using toilets
- Spend some time talking to children about personal hygiene
- Spend some time talking to your child about looking after their belongings
- Please ensure your child arrives promptly at school everyday, gates open at 8.20.
- Dismissal for EYFS is 3.20, please ensure you are on time to collect your child.
- Children must bring in their school bags everyday
- Correct school uniform will be checked on a daily basis, please ensure your child is in school wearing the correct school/PE uniform.
- Please do not send your child wearing laced shoes, this may cause an accident.
Show and Tell will start each Monday. Please remember to check dates for when your child will take part. And please rehearse at home beforehand to make the session as beneficial as possible.
Homework is handed out every Friday and should be returned by Tuesday. We do keep a record of homework and reading, so please be punctual in completing and handing in homework. Homework is a very important aspect of learning in EYFS, please ensure your child completes homework regularly.